There’s nothing more thrilling than exploring the great outdoors. There are so many new paths to discover and old trails to revisit. In doing so, you’ll need the best gear that caters to all your different needs. One of the non-negotiable things that an adventurer should have is a great pair of hiking boots that can weather even the toughest and roughest of conditions.
Hiking boots are pieces of equipment that you should never skimp on, as a trusty pair will make or break your experience. Your trip will be uncomfortable, painful, and all-around stressful with the wrong pair. However, the right ones will make you love your adventures even more. With this, here are some crucial factors to consider when choosing the right ones:
1 - The Materials
One of the most important factors you should consider in your hiking footwear is the material of which your boots are made. You’ll have to look into each part of your boots and choose a pair that ticks all boxes. Three of the most crucial components you should consider are the uppers, midsoles, and outsoles.
The Uppers: These are the topmost components of your boots—the parts that cover your feet. The materials will determine their breathability and durability. Some of the most common materials include:
- Split-Grain Leather: Breathable and lightweight but often not waterproof
- Full-Grain Leather: Highly durable but can be heavy and not breathable
- Nubuck Leather: Usually light and water-resistant but needs considerable breaking in
- Synthetic Materials: Lightweight and comfortable but are not too durable
- PU: Often more expensive and requires a break-in period but is durable and resilient
- EVA: Lightweight and more comfortable but may flatten out more quickly
The Outsoles: The outsoles are the parts that make contact with the ground. They have to provide ample protection against rocks and other sharp objects, but they also have to be lightweight enough to feel comfortable during hikes. Rubber is usually the top choice for these components.
2 - Your Ideal Adventures
The best boots for you have to be fit for the type of hikes you love doing. Lightweight, low-cut or mid-cut boots will be best for casual trails, while rough trails, off-trail paths, and mountains will require heavier, more durable boots that can withstand rough conditions.
3 - Standard Quality Checks
Quality boots will be your best companions for years. It might be tempting to think that expensive is better, but it’s not always the case. Here are some standard quality checks to ensure you’re getting a high-quality pair:
- The heels should not squish or bend too easily
- The boots should be as stiff as you need them
- Loose threads or missing stitches are a sign of poor quality
- The upper materials should be consistent throughout the boot
- They look and feel sturdy
Choosing the right hiking boots requires a lot of consideration, as the pair you get will make or break your hiking experience. It’s best to take your time and assess your options before making a purchase. Make sure to consider the aforementioned factors as you pick the best gear for your adventures!
If you’re looking for adventure wear in Australia, Adventureco has all you need. We’ll provide you with all the high-quality gear and other essentials you need to explore the great outdoors. Shop with us today!