Australian Walking Holidays – Responsible Tourism
GIVING SOMETHING BACK … Australian Walking Holidays is committed to responsible travel and true sustainability. It was a commitment formed when the company was established, and today, in the face of a multitude of threats to the environment, our commitment is stronger than ever. We aim to ensure that our destinations retain their natural character and cultural diversity for future generations. This vision can only be achieved with the support of all of our travellers and business partners. Our ‘Responsible Travel Guidebook’ has been written in order to fulfill our vision. The booklet sets out our environmental objectives and practices and how you can play a part in reducing the impact on environments and cultures around the world.
Our responsible tourism policy commits us to the following principles:
- True sustainability in all aspects of our business planning and operations. Specifically Australian Walking Holidays tour operations should be managed in a way where the natural and cultural values of the host region are undiminished in the long-term.
- Where possible, Australian Walking Holidays engages in partnerships with local environmental groups and/or land managers to actively campaign for conservation or promote environmental protection and/or rehabilitation.
- Australian Walking Holidays aims to maximise the positive benefits of tourism for host communities. This includes training and employment of local staff, using local suppliers and assisting in the development of sustainable local businesses.
- We actively minimise the negative effects that tourism can have by ensuring that tourism does not divert resources away from local communities or drive up prices on local resources.
- Australian Walking Holidays provide opportunities for cultural exchange, where locals and visitors alike can share and learn from each other in an environment of mutual respect.
- We contribute to the welfare of the host community. This is epitomised in our Community Project Travel program where we organise for our travellers to spend time in disadvantaged villages upgrading basic facilities such as health, education and water access.
- Australian Walking Holidays strives to educate our travellers about the destination and its local cultures as well as providing guidelines on appropriate behaviour to minimise impact.
Hear what the following organisations and foundations have to say about our commitment to true environmental and cultural sustainability:
‘World Expeditions were the winners of the “Environmental Achievement Award 2001” for their outstanding publication of ‘The Responsible Travel Guidebook’, highlighting ways to minimise the impact of your travel, and encouraging every participant to only take photos’ and leave only Footprints. WWF decided to be involved in the award to encourage tourism strategies and practices that have a positive effect on the environment. This award to World Expeditions not only acknowledges and rewards progress towards better environmental management, but also identifies the practices that can be promoted and adopted by others, internationally as well as in Australia. Congratulations World Expeditions for helping us to make and sustain a better environment for all of us to enjoy!’.
Right from the early days World Expeditions has been a strong supporter of The Fred Hollows Foundation. World Expedition’s staff and clients have shown real enthusiasm and a willingness to help us achieve our vision of a world where no one is needlessly blind and a land where Indigenous people share the same health outcomes as all Australians.
The Wilderness Society
‘The Wilderness Society is dedicated to the protection, promotion and preservation of wilderness areas. Achieving this has never been easy. It is therefore extremely encouraging when a business takes leadership in developing respect for our fragile environmental and cultural landscapes. World Expeditions has displayed this leadership and committed themselves to act in a socially and environmentally responsible manner. They are striving to minimise the impact of their business, assist local communities in their efforts to care for the environment and educate their travellers. This ethical policy puts into writing a philosophy that they have been operating for many years. We commend them on their ongoing attempts to find a true balance between the enjoyment and the preservation of our physical and social environs’.
From the blog
Come preparare le #immagini di un articolo #WordPress per la #condivisione sui #social? Consigli utili da… https://t.co/y6CizYhvPz
Consigli utili su 8 #errori poco noti ma comunque da evitare in un sito #WordPress https://t.co/2kl3H0Mnvh https://t.co/sgFKKbeZR7